Wednesday 13 February 2013

User admin and history lesson

Sleepy Friday somewhere in Plymouth


On this particular Friday I am sat with my Zenbook flipped open running its customary Ubuntu Unity 12.04 with a terminal box open about to secure shell in to the main fileserver to create some new Teacher Accounts. There are three students sat by me who should be working on something that was set by the class teacher, but were generally chatting about non ICT related  topics. The student closest to me seeing the shell box leans over and asks "Wassat sir?" I explained it was a way to do some programming to automate tasks, in this case user creation, my response was met with a "Oh" and after a moment the young lad said "What like?". Over the next 5 minutes he watched as I showed him how to echo "Hello World" and a couple of loops in a BASH script, before the conversation at the table turned to the other two lads.

History Lesson 

The three lads at the table were now talking about a documentary they had seen the previous evening about a king who had been murdered by an assassin who hid in the cesspit under his royal toilet, apparently with a pike. I asked about pikes and the conversation turned to Infantry with pikes against Cavalry charges, with me trying to get them to imagine what it would be like with 1000+ thundering horses bearing down on you in a wet field on a winters morning. At the end of the lesson I went off to do another job and returned later in the day to help with the Minecraft group that ran on a Friday afternoon, to my surprise the three students that had been sat around the table in the morning avoiding their ICT work were back after opting for ICT for the afternoon, even more to my amazement two of the lads were looking at Cavalry and Infantry on google and the third was halfway through a bash scripting tutorial!

And the real kicker........ They could have been playing minecraft instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment